Parks, Recreation and Culture Survey Results
2011 Survey Results
The survey asked residents what recreational and cultural activities they and their household participate in, what they liked about programs and facilities in Manotick, and what new projects or improvements they would like to see to parks, pathways, and recreation/cultural programs. According to survey respondents, their top recreational activities in Manotick were walking (64%), dog walking and cycling (53% each), and public skating (32%).
The detailed survey results can be viewed in PDF format using the link at left. A summary of the findings follows.
Parks and Pathways continue to be popular
- 72% use Manotick parks at least once a week, and 56% use pathways at least once a week. People most enjoy their proximity, location, and link to neighbourhoods.
- The new park/pathway initiatives rated either important or very important included tree planting (61%), sidewalk between the two elementary schools on Long Island Road (63%), and pathway to Beryl Gaffney Park (44%).
- There were many suggestions such as better winter clearance of pathways, better signage, better lighting, more garbage cans and seating in the parks.
- Many people suggested a 'splash pad' in one of Manotick's parks
Many existing facilities get a thumbs up
- 79% rated Watson's Mill as very good or excellent
- 70% rated the Manotick Public Library either very good or excellent, although some people suggested expanded hours and programming
- 53% rated the Long Island Aquatic Club as very good or excellent, though many people suggested a reduced fee for day users
- 49% rated the other Mill Quarter buildings as very good or excellent, with numerous suggestions including paint for Dickinson House, washrooms, and a landscape design.
- Repairing the Centennial Park Outdoor Rink was the highest rated facilities project initiative.
New programs are of interest
Summer outdoor movie nights and other community social events topped the list (66% interested or very interested), Youth Programs (60%), and Canoe/Kayak Lessons (56%)